Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) is a medical treatment that involves exposing individuals to oxygen at higher than normal atmospheric pressures. This treatment allows for increased oxygen absorption in bodily fluids such as blood plasma and cerebrospinal fluids, leading to various health benefits including cell growth and regeneration, detoxification, immune support, improved neurological functioning, and the growth of new capillaries.
HBOT is typically categorized into high-pressure and low-pressure therapy. High-pressure HBOT is used for acute illnesses, while low-pressure therapy includes both traditional low-pressure and mild hyperbaric oxygen therapy (mHBOT). In this blog post, we will focus on mHBOT, which is administered at 1.3 absolute atmospheres and is known for its safety and effectiveness in treating various conditions.
The Unique Advantages of Mild Hyperbaric Oxygen Chambers
Mild hyperbaric oxygen chambers offer several advantages for patients and healthcare facilities. Some of these advantages include:
- Cost-Effective: mHBOT chambers have a relatively low purchase price, making them more accessible for healthcare providers.
- Space-Efficient: These chambers require minimal space and do not necessitate facility renovations for oxygen and electrical requirements.
- Portability: mHBOT chambers are easy to transport in case of relocation.
- Safety: Unlike higher-pressure chambers, mHBOT does not pose a risk of fire.
- Home Use: mHBOT chambers are FDA-approved for home use, allowing patients to self-administer treatments.
- Limited Pressure: Although mHBOT has limited pressure capability, it is effective for treating various conditions, especially chronic ones.
The Effectiveness of mHBOT for Autism
Research on neurological disorders has paved the way for the use of mHBOT in treating autism. Studies have shown that individuals with autism often have areas of the brain with reduced blood flow and oxygen levels. When exposed to mHBOT, these areas experience improved blood flow and increased activity, leading to positive outcomes for autistic individuals.
Benefits of mHBOT for Autism
- Enhanced Cerebral Blood Flow: mHBOT has been shown to increase cerebral blood flow in injured brains, which is particularly beneficial for autistic individuals.
- Improved Immune Function: This therapy positively impacts natural killer cell function, enhancing immune function.
- Reduction in Inflammatory Conditions: mHBOT has been found to be beneficial in treating inflammatory conditions, which can be prevalent in autistic individuals.
- Increased Glutathione Levels: Glutathione, an important antioxidant, increases by 15% for at least 24 hours after mHBOT therapy.
- Symptom Improvement: Children on the autism spectrum who undergo mHBOT treatments often experience improvements in various symptoms, including increased language ability, better socialization, reduced aggression, improved bowel function, and enhanced cognition.
Mild Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (mHBOT) has shown promise in improving the lives of individuals with autism. Its relatively low risk profile, combined with its positive impact on cerebral blood flow, immune function, and inflammatory conditions, makes it an appealing adjunctive treatment option for autism spectrum disorders. Further research and clinical studies continue to explore the potential benefits of mHBOT, offering hope to families and individuals seeking alternative therapies for autism.
Hirani, K. An Introduction To Mild Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy. Hirani MEdical Wellness Center. https://www.drhirani.com/Assets/HBOTIntro.pdf